I would like to extend a huge thanks to VeinInnovations for collecting books for Frankie's First! They recently filled up my car with donations!
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Frankie's First seeks to provide students ages pre-k through 12th grade with on-reading-level books they can have in their homes. If you are interested in donating new or like-new books, please let me know. Also, I am in great need of volunteers to level and distribute the books. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are willing to assist in this great cause! All students deserve to have books in their homes, and this is especially critical in the upcoming summer months!
Sunday, April 17, 2011
I have received several emails lately requesting suggestions for healthy summer snacks, especially for those of us who have a serious "sweet tooth". I have tried to balance healthy with practical and tasty. Here are some ideas to try:
- Fruit with light whipped topping (I most enjoy cantelope, berries, or mango), sprinkled with 1 T. granola
- Veggies with 1 T. hummus or all-natural pimento cheese (found at Whole Foods)
- 1/2 apple or other fruit with 5 almonds or cashews (unsalted, raw)
- Plain, nonfat Greek yogurt sweetened with Stevia, mixed with 1/2 cup berries, sprinkled with ground flaxseed (it provides a "nutty" taste and supplies fiber -- it's good, really!)
- SUPER YUMMY frozen strawberry treat: In a blender, combine 8-12 ounces of Wyler's sugar-free pink lemonade with a handful of ice cubes and 5 frozen strawberries. Blend and enjoy.
- Graham cracker sandwich: Take a sheet of graham cracker and break it in half. Put 1/4 cup or less of light or fat free cool whip on one cracker, top with the other, wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze. It makes for a great alternative to a traditional ice cream treat.
- Organic Cliff Kids Z Bar - brownie or chocolate chip can satisify a sweet tooth
I greatly enjoyed serving as a judge for the Mrs. Minnesota, Mrs. Iowa, and Mrs. Wisconsin Pageant! Here are the winners along with the newly crowned Mrs. Georgia, Tiffany Marshall. Tiffany went on to the Top 6 at Mrs. America! Congratulations, Tiffany!
Here are my fellow judges. It was a fantastic panel of people, and I actually miss each one of them!
I had a fraction of a minute to catch up with my roommate from Mrs. America, Brianna!