Wednesday, August 11, 2010

LaLona's Nutrition Tip #1: Wake up with Protein!


What is America’s most popular breakfast?  It is a bowl of cereal.  What does that do for us?  It will fill us up and give us a degree of energy due to the carbohydrates, calories, and fiber (for some cereals), but it is not the treat our bodies deserve in the morning!  The key to maintaining a high metabolism and maximum mental alertness is to have our bodies balanced with protein, carbohydrates, and good fats.  However, protein, especially, wakes up our bodies physically and mentally.  Here are some good choices to try first thing in the morning:
  • Use 4-6 egg whites combined with 1-2 yolks from cage-free organic eggs to form an omlette.  Add any veggies you like. I prefer spinach, onions, and tomatoes.  For a carbohydrate addition, have half a green apple or a handful of berries.
  • Yummy protein shakes are a life-saver!  My favorite is “Warrior Milk” by Defense Nutrition. Just the title makes me feel tough. J Yes, for those of you who have heard my diet plan before, this is a new brand for me; I have been converted!  It is an all natural protein blend with grass fed cows whey and no sugar added.  In other words, it is super healthy!  It has 153 calories, 3 grams of fat, 12 carbohydrates, 4.4 grams of sugar, and 19 grams of protein per serving. It is excellent just mixed with water and ice, which I have NEVER found to be true of any other protein powder, and that can be quite convenient if you are on the go.  However, I usually have this first thing in the morning before my workout and mix it with ½ cup vanilla coconut milk, ½ cup water, 5 ice cubes, and sometimes a handful of frozen organic mixed berries.   Delicious!
  • Try plain Greek yogurt with six almonds mixed in, plus add a few berries for a few more good carbohydrates.  This is a quick, on-the-go, delicious alternative.
When I started diligently doing this, I noticed I was more alert and had more energy during my morning workout.  Try it out and let me know how you feel!  

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I love your breakfast tips. Now I would love to see..."How to take your abs from flab to fab!" Eh, eh what do you think?! Keep up the great work busy momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I always made an omlette the mornings of big exams in college. I guess I should do it more often!

    ReplyDelete